The death toll from west Africa’s Ebola outbreak has risen to more than 2,400 from at least 4,784 cases.
“However, the World Health Organizations director general Margaret Chan said that is highly likely to be an underestimate.
Ms Chan said the number of cases of the deadly viral disease is rising faster than authorities’ ability to manage them.
She called for international support in sending healthcare workers, medical supplies and aid to the worst-affected countries of Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia.
Cuba is sending 165 doctors and nurses to Sierra Leone to help fight the outbreak, Cuba’s health minister and the WHO announced this morning.
Ms Chan hailed Cuba’s commitment to send the health professionals to the hard-hit west African country for six months.
She told reporters it was “the largest” made so far in the global fight to stop the deadly outbreak.”
This past Saturday, the government of Sierra Leone declared a mandatory quarantine for the entire country starting on September 18. For three days, everyone must stay home to give authorities a chance get a step ahead of the disease. Across the country, people are already beginning to doubt the effectiveness of this plan.
Yusuf Johnny is a resident of Kenema, the epicenter of the Ebola outbreak in Sierra Leone, and OneVillage Partner staff member. He told me he doesn’t think it will work the way the authorities intend. “It will create more problems,” Yusuf told me. “There are thousands of people here in Kenema that survive day-to-day. They won’t be able to have enough to feed themselves, and the government won’t be helping them during those three days.”
Josephine Seilu lives in Jokibu, a village in the east of Sierra Leone. She says that it might be a step in the right direction. “After the state of emergency was called, people were still moving from here to there and this was dangerous. They were contracting the disease,” she said. Despite this, she sees struggle ahead. “We will try to manage [during the lockdown], but I know it will create hunger.”